Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I went to the midnight launch of WoW: Cataclysm last night

And I don't even play WoW.
I also think that midnight launches are probably the saddest thing a gamer can do besides being a noob or cosplaying as Link. Seriously, waiting outside for 5 or 6 hours in the cold just so you can be the first one to play a game that you could have easily downloaded, or pre-ordered and had it delivered on the release day is just plain stupid. But fine.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on going for obvious reasons - I don't play WoW and even if I did I would've bought it online because it's freaking December. I was walking back from college and passing by a game store when I saw this huge line and the saddest face in the whole world in the front. It was my friend, a WoW addict, looking like his family just got killed in a horrible accident, so I stopped by. He started whining about being there for the last 3 hours and it wasn't even 8 yet and how he ran out of cigarettes, but he couldn't go buy a new pack because he was afraid he'd lose his place in the line. He also had to pee. So being a nice person that I am, I offered to stay with him in exchange for some of his beer. 

The whole thing was pretty unreal, it was like all the geeks from the country decided to crawl out of their basements and get together. Not to mention there were only 2 or 3 other girls. 
This is the list of things I've been told:

  • Stay back, wench, let the tank go first. (a guy wearing an actual iron helmet trying to break the glass door)
  • Mmm, free skin. (at first I didn't get this one, but my friend was quick to explain)
  • Hey, cutie, you in my faction?
  • Go make me some portals, dwarf.

I also got a WoW T-shirt for smiling at some guy who was wearing chain mail. I wanted to suggest that maybe he should be wearing the T-shirt, but I decided to be nice for a while because, hey, free pajamas. 
Then I went home and downloaded WoW trial.


xoxo, T


No comments: